nicolewang161

Fiction Freak

A YA blog created in 2011.

All the Truth That's in Me
Julie Berry
Juliet Immortal - Stacey Jay http://fiction-freak.blogspot.com/2012/01/juliet-immortal-by-stacy-jay.html

So many of us readers have read, or at least heard about, the tragic love story Romeo and Juliet. And if you haven't heard about the original play, then at least you know Gnomeo and Juliet, right? Anyways, I absolutely love retellings, or anything that twists a classic piece. If you look at my bookshelf, you'll find many retellings of faery tales!

At first, I have to admit, I was afraid this might ruin my image of Romeo as the most romantic lover, and thank goodness it didn't! Romeo still loved Juliet, just in a sick, twisted sort of way. But besides that fear, I was hooked once I read the blurb above. This story gives you a view of things that you'd have never expected, and if you're a Shakespere fan, I can almost promise that you'll abandon your hopes of finding your own Romeo and look for your own...wait, sorry, almost let out a spoiler! I'm sure you'll want to know though, but nah, you'll just have to read it.

One of my favorite parts of this, is the ending. Usually, I hate finishing a book because the ending always...I don't know, ruins things I guess. But this one I loved. It's so unexpected, so deliciously shocking, and so obvious! I can't believe I missed it, but when I look back, there were so many hints that I didn't catch! The turn of events had me jumping saying "nononononononononono!!!!!!!!!!" And...it still happened. I'mnot happy about that.

What ticked me off, (come on, you should be used to these by now) was that the results of what happened weren't very...realistic. I keep thinking of what could've happened in this...alternative ending, and I keep liking that ending more and more. What happened wouldn't have happened in "reality"! You don't always get second chances. Another thing was that over and over, Juliet kep thinking, "I can't do this! He's supposed to love someone else! And I can't fall in love!" Which really just got annoying every time she thought it.

But all in all, it was a good book, so...yeah. oh, and watch out for book #2, Romeo Redeemed! I sure will!