nicolewang161

Fiction Freak

A YA blog created in 2011.

All the Truth That's in Me
Julie Berry
Notes from Ghost Town - Kate Ellison This book was...interesting. I have so many conflicted feelings about this! On one hand it was amazing, with absolutely gorgeous writing, a likeable love interest, with a decent plot, but on the other hand it was predictable and didn't focus on the mystery as much as I would've liked. Not to mention that her colorblindness doesn't seem to be a key role or anything and while I was hoping for one of those character-you-can't-trust stories, I didn't get it.

The writing was simply stunning! There were so many gorgeous examples, but I decided to choose this one since I think it's my favorite of all (and it's actually the first paragraph too.)
"Think about a moment, a little centimeter of time you'd happily exist in forever, if time could be laid out along the spine of a ruler. Maybe it haunts you in that blue inch of half consciousness just before you're fully awake."
Instantly I fell in love and I think that's when my hopes went soaring. The writing flowed well and I found myself falling deeper and deeper into the lull of these words. If I had an audio version, I bet I'd be listening to it forever!

As a mystery, this book was disappointing, but as a contemporary and realistic fiction, this book had it all. I loved (this will sound mean) how her life just fell apart all at once, and showing how delicate family and friend bonds can be. I loved how Olivia dealt with these problems, truthfully, and I just loved the book as a whole. It shows how a seemingly great, if not perfect, life can spiral so quickly out of control and how it's best to let go.

As for the romance, is there a love triangle? Not really. Because Stern is...dead. And Olivia knows that. So while she does still have feelings for him, I got the vibe that she knew she couldn't really do anything about them besides telling her that she really did love him. Then there's Austin who, while I did love him, was a stereotypical character--hot, rich, a bit of a player, smug, and interested? I think we've seen that. But I have to admit, I find them a lot better than sweet innocent guys. I don't know, I'm weird like that! But the romance is sweet and it has a bit of a twist!

As for the mystery part, it wasn't really a mystery since it was predictable, sadly. Right when we met the culprit, my mind was jogging, thinking, "He/she's going to be important...". so while it was an enjoyable read, it didn't necessarily have me at the edge of my seat. If it wasn't as obvious, I'm sure I would've completely adored this book! But with the ARC, I just couldn't love it as much as I wanted.

By the end, I had a thousand questions left unanswered, but...I liked it. The reason for Olivia's colorblindness was never explained, but the way this conflict was resolved symbolized something, though I can't tell you just yet! Something that irritated me, though was that *SPOILER* Almost everything becomes a Happy-Ever-After and I was disappointed by that. It sort of ruined the ending, and as evil as it seems, I honestly think some things should've been left as a tragedy rather than a miracle.