nicolewang161

Fiction Freak

A YA blog created in 2011.

All the Truth That's in Me
Julie Berry
A Darkness Strange and Lovely - Susan Dennard While I'd enjoyed Something Strange and Deadly, I wasn't exactly fangirling crazily about it. But, you guys, I think I just fell in love with the series.

The writing is enthralling and captures the atmosphere brilliantly. The world is vividly described and wonderfully imagined and you can't help but be drawn into this steampunk-ish zombie-filled world! The worldbuilding is absolutely genius and incredibly creative. We delve more into the paranormal aspect of the world than we did in Something Strange, and I loved learning more about Eleanor's necromancy powers and about the "spirit realm".

The plot was completely unpredictable for me and I had no clue what was going to happen next! I was shocked one chapter after another and absolutely giddy with excitement. I finished this in just under two hours in the middle of the night (and no it wasn't a good idea) and almost immediately wished for the third book. Because the ending? Oh my God.

My heart absolutely ached for Eleanor, but I couldn't help but become a little irritated by her. I hated how much she kept hidden and how she seemed to trust Oliver more than she trusted the Spirit Hunters despite barely knowing Oliver. She lied to her friends a dozen times and I just wanted to shake her!
As for Oliver, I'm not quite sure if I love him or hate him. He's witty and I love how he seems to care for Eleanor, but at the same time, I love the Spirit Hunters and hated how much he despised them.

I absolutely love Daniel and I couldn't help but want to shove him and Eleanor together. I giggled at their interactions (or wanted to gasp and cry.) and wished that they would talk for a minute or two! The romance isn't a big part of the story, but there was enough in it that sated the romantic in me (and the fangirl besides.) And the last chapter? Well, let's just say my feelings erupted.

A Darkness Strange and Lovely is an absolutely breathtaking sequel to Something Strange and Deadly, and even more amazing than the first! It made me fall in love with the series and with Susan Dennard's work and you can bet I'm anxiously awaiting the third book!